Do you like real-time, turn-based strategy games set in a dark fantasy world?
Do you love epic battles between races and factions with their own characteristics and playstyles? Do you have fun exploring a campaign full of intrigue, betrayal and magic? If the answer is yes, then you can’t miss the latest DLC of Total War: WARHAMMER III – Shadows of Change.
Shadows of Change is an add-on content pack that adds three new legendary lords (one for each race) and new units to Tzeentch, Great Cathay, and Kislev. In addition, it introduces new campaign mechanics never seen before in Total War, such as the schemes of the deceiver, the cult of formless horror or the quest for the jade dragon. It also includes a free update that improves the game’s performance and stability, as well as fixes various bugs and issues.
Shadows of Change is located in the world of Warhammer Fantasya dark fantasy universe created by Games Workshop. In this world, there are four gods of chaos who seek to corrupt and destroy all that exists: Khorne, the god of blood and war; Nurgle, the god of plague and decay; Slaanesh, the god of pleasure and excess; and Tzeentch, the god of change and magic.
The new Legendary Lords, The Changeling, Yuan Bo y Mother Ostankyathey must fight against the forces of Chaos to protect their territories and their peoples.
The Changeling is a powerful Tzeentch sorcerer who can warp reality. Yuan Bo is a general from Grand Cathay who is a master of warfare and strategy. Mother Ostankya is a witch from Kislev who can summon the spirits of the forests.
Shadows of Change’s story unfolds through a campaign that combines elements of turn-based strategy and real-time battles. The player will be able to choose one of the three factions of chaos (Tzeentch, Khorne or Nurgle) or one of the two factions of order (Greater Cathay or Kislev) and try to achieve their objectives while interacting with other races and characters from the world of Warhammer. The campaign will last approximately 20 hours and will offer multiple possible endings based on the player’s decisions.
Shadows of Change is a DLC that is integrated into the base game of Total War: WARHAMMER III, so it maintains its essence and mechanics. The game is divided into two parts: the campaign and the battles. In the campaign, the player has to manage his faction on a turn-based map, where he can build cities, recruit armies, do diplomacy, research technologies, perform quests, and face other races. In the battles, the player has to lead his troops in a real-time scenario, where he can use different units, formations, tactics, abilities, and magic to defeat his enemies.
However, Shadows of Change also introduces some new features and improvements that make the game more varied and fun. For example, each race has its own characteristics and playstyles, which are reflected in both the campaign and the battles. Here are some of the main differences between the breeds:
- Tzeentch: It is the most magic-focused race, since it can use spells from all schools and has access to heralds of change, which are special units that can alter reality. In the campaign, Tzeentch has to fulfill the deceiver’s schemes, which are secret objectives that grant him buffs or debuffs based on the degree of completion. Additionally, Tzeentch has to deal with the Cult of the Shapeless Horror, which is a rogue faction that can spring up in their territories and cause trouble.
- Great Cathay: It is the most balanced and versatile race, since it can adapt to any situation and has access to the celestial dragons, which are powerful units that can transform into humans. In the campaign, Grand Cathay has to search for the jade dragon, which is a holy relic that grants him advantages and disadvantages depending on its location. Furthermore, Grand Cathay has to maintain order and harmony in its territories and avoid chaos and corruption.
- Kislev: It is the most resistant and defensive race, since it can withstand the cold and the siege and has access to the elemental magic of winter, which is a unique school that allows it to freeze and slow down its enemies. In the campaign, Kislev has to protect his homeland from chaos invasions and ally with other races of order. In addition, Kislev has to worship Ursun, the bear god, who grants him favors or punishments depending on his level of devotion.
In addition to these differences between the races, new units are also added to each of them, such as the flamers of Tzeentch (fire demons), the terracotta warriors (clay soldiers) or the ice guard (ice warriors). These units have their own abilities and roles on the battlefield, making battles more dynamic and strategic.
weapons and challenges
The expansion Shadows of Change for Total War: WARHAMMER III introduces three new legendary lords, each with their own unique weapons and challenges.
The Changeling, the mutation lord of Tzeentch, is a master of magic and trickery. His main weapons are his shapeshifting ability, which allows him to transform into any creature, and his ability to mind control his enemies.
Yuan Bo, the jade dragon of Great Cathay, is a powerful and wise warrior. His main weapon is his sword, which he can cut through any armor. He is also an expert in the art of military strategy.
Mother Ostankya, the matriarch of Kislev, is a powerful and feared sorceress. Her main weapon is her Ice Rod, which can cast devastating spells. She is also a fierce and determined leader.
The main challenges facing these new legendary lords are:
- The Changeling must deal with the constant threat of mutation. His armies are made up of grotesque and dangerous creatures, which can turn against him at any moment.
- Yuan Bo You must keep the peace on Great Cathay, a vast and diverse empire. He must also face external threats, such as the demons of Khorne and Nurgle.
- Mother Ostankya he must defend Kislev from the forces of Chaos. He must also find a way to unite his people, divided by war.
graphics and sound
Shadows of Change offers a graphic and sound section, which gives it great immersion and realism. The game has impressive graphics, which recreate in detail the world of Warhammer Fantasy and its different races and settings. The visual effects, such as fire, ice or magic, are spectacular and make the battles more colorful and exciting. The game also features surround sound, which accompanies each situation and character with music, voices, and sound effects. The music is epic and varied, adapting to the tone and rhythm of each moment. The voices are original and expressive, giving each character personality and charisma. Sound effects are realistic and powerful, making weapons and hits feel more impactful.
Comparison with other games
Shadows of Change is a game that can be compared to other games of the same genre or theme, such as the previous Total War: WARHAMMER I and II , which are the predecessors of this game and share its mechanics and universe; Age of Wonders: Planetfall, which is another real-time turn-based strategy game set in a sci-fi world; or Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III, which is another real-time strategy game set in another Warhammer world. These games are similar to Shadows of Change in some ways, but they also have their own differences and features.
The DLC is a solid expansion that adds a lot of new content to Total War: WARHAMMER III. New Legendary Lords, units, abilities, and mechanics make the experience more challenging and rewarding.
High-quality graphics and sound immerse the player in the world of Warhammer Fantasy. The epic soundtrack and stunning effects bring epic faction battles to life. If you’re a fan of the series, this expansion is an addition you won’t be disappointed in, enriching your experience with more strategic variety and immersion.
- New Legendary Lords with unique abilities and units.
- New game mechanics that add depth and strategy.
- High quality graphics and sound.
- Epic soundtrack.
- The price may be a bit high for some players.
- The game can be very challenging for new players.
- Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit
- Procesador: Intel Core i5-6600K o AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
- Memory: 8 GB of RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 480
- Storage: 100 GB of available space